Elisha Anointed Prophet

Out of all the stories in this book, you will find that the prophet Elisha is in more of them than any other person. Why Elisha? You might ask. Elijah the Tishbite was some prophet. As we read along in the Old Testament we learn that the prophet Elijah was able to stop the rain and the dew for many days. The great prophet Elijah brought a widow’s son back to life, and through this she found out that the word of the Lord was really true. The prophet Elijah was able to call down fire from heaven to prove that his God was the one true God. Oh yes, the prophet Elijah was a mighty prophet, but Elisha will always be my favorite. Keep reading, and you will find out why.
Here in this story, we find Elijah sitting under a juniper tree way out in the middle of the wilderness. Why was he out there? Well, he had just killed all of Jezebel’s prophets of Baal. When she found out about it, she wasn’t too pleased. In fact, she was so down right furious about it, she threatened to kill Elijah. So he took off running for his life. He left his servant in Beersheba, and then went a day’s journey out into the wilderness. That’s where we find him now.

Let’s take a look at the situation he was in. He was so tired and weary. He had just killed all the prophets of Baal, and no doubt he was up in years now. Then running for his life sure didn’t make matters any better. He was pooped, and slap worn out, as we’d say down south. He finally said to the Lord, “It is enough! I’m weak, I’m tired of fighting, and my flesh is weary. Just go ahead and take my life, for I am no better than my Fathers.” After saying those words to the Lord, he laid himself down under that juniper tree and fell fast asleep.

After a little while, an angel came down from heaven and touched him. He woke up and looked around. He noticed that the angel had baked him a cake on some coals. Also, there sat a cruse of water close to where his head had been laying. The angel said to him, “Arise Elijah, and eat.”
Elijah ate the cake and drank all of the water, and then he laid back down. After a little while, the angel came back a second time. He touched Elijah and said, “Arise and eat Elijah, because the journey is too great for thee.”

The Bible says in 1 Kings 19:8, “And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the Mount of God.”

This reminds me of a time in my life. One of the lowest times I can remember. I was so tired spiritually. I said to God, “ Ya know God, I’m so weary, and I’m so tired. I just can’t go on another step. I want to give up on life spiritually. I quit. “

Then I went to sleep. But do you know what happened in the middle of the night? The Lord came down and woke me up. He touched my heart, and said, “Hey, get up and eat. This journey is too great for you, you need some strength.”

I got up and looked around, and there was my Bible. Do you know that the Lord had a sweet, moist cake already baked for me in that precious book? Not only that, but he had a cruse of water in there waiting for me too. I read, and I ate up that book.. Then I took a nice, long, cool drink. The Bible says in Matthew 4:4, that man can not live by bread alone, but by every word that procedeth out of the mouth of God. God’s got a cake baked especially for you in his word. The water is right there. All you need to do is get up, and eat and drink. All the nourishment is there waiting for you. The word of God is sweet as honey. It’s called the bread of Life. It can also be strong meat, and it can quench a thirsty soul anytime. Maybe you’re young now, but down the road as you go through life’s journey, you will find out that the only thing that will nourish and strengthen you is the Word of God.

Elijah did get strength for his journey. For you see, God wasn’t finished with him yet. God still had three people that he wanted Elijah to anoint. God told Elijah to anoint Hazael to be king over Syria, and anoint Jehu to be king over Israel. Last of all, Elijah was to anoint Elisha to be prophet so that he would have someone to take his place.

After anointing Hazael and Jehu, Elijah went off to find Elisha. The Bible says that Elijah found Elisha plowing in a field with twelve yoke of oxen. Elijah cast his mantel on Elisha as he walked passed, and Elisha left his oxen and ran after him. He asked Elijah if he could go back and kiss his Father, and his Mother, and then he would follow him. Elijah told him, “Go back again, for what have I done to thee?”

You know, Elijah didn’t say anything to Elisha, he just cast his mantel on him and there was a spiritual connection between the both of them. Elijah didn’t need to explain anything to Elisha. Elisha was already spiritually aware of what was going on around him. Elisha ran back to the field and killed a yoke of oxen. He boiled the flesh of the oxen, and gave it to the people to eat. Then he ran after Elijah and ministered unto him. The word minister means to serve, to help, or to supply things when needed.

I would like for you to notice something about Elisha. He was working when Elijah found him. I think when God looks around for someone to use, he likes to pick the ones who he finds working. God doesn’t like to use lazy people. I’m not saying that he won’t use a lazy person, but I do believe with all my heart that he loves to use hard working people much more. If you were a boss, which would you rather hire, a lazy person, or a hard working person? When God looks down from heaven, does he see you working hard for daddy and mommy? Or does he see you slouching around and complaining about your chores? How you do your work now will determine your future for the Lord. When God looks down, he notices when you are obedient toward daddy, and mommy. I betcha he says to himself, “I think I’ll use that girl or boy when they get older, I have a mighty special job for them.” Wouldn’t it be great if God picked you out, and used you in a mighty way like he did Elisha?

I haven’t told you yet why Elisha is my favorite prophet. Keep on reading, and you will find out in the next story.